Our Homeschooling Journal

Our Homeschooling Journal

Friday, January 15, 2016

Weekly Bread/Week 1: Asiago Cheese Bread

One thing I learned this week is that taking photos of food is not a strength of mine! haha. But seriously. Just use the pictures as a guide :) This bread is sooo yummy and so easy! I have a kitchen-aid and it makes life easier but if you don't, you can use a bread machine on the dough setting or just do it the old fashioned way and knead the dough with your hands (just be prepared for a workout).
THIS is where I got my recipe from, and every time I've made it has been a success.
Here are the ingredients to make two small loaves:

3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups of flour
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (I buy my yeast in bulk at Sam's Club and refrigerate it in a sealed glass jar. It's the way to go)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/4 cup warm milk (I heat mine in a glass cup in the microwave for 30 seconds)
2 tbsp. almost melted butter
1 1/2 cups asiago cheese (you'll be using 1 1/4 for the dough and 1/4 for the topping)
1 beaten egg

Here's where you'll use your stand mixer with dough attachment or bread machine, or bowl and wooden spoon if you want to burn some calories...

Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper.

Melt the butter and milk and stir in slowly


Next you'll add the 1 1/4 cup of shredded Asiago Cheese. I also buy my Asiago Cheese from Sam's Club because you can get a big block for about $7-$10.

Mix it in until it's just combined. Then gradually add in 1 3/4 cup of flour and knead for about 5 minutes. If it's still too wet after 5 minutes you can add a tiny bit more of flour and if it's still too dry you can add a tsp of warm milk at a time until it's a good consistency. 

Now you want to spray a bowl with some cooking spray or butter and drop the dough in the bowl. Cover it with a dish towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours. I think I waited 2 1/2 hours for this one.


Oooh, pretty. It should be nice and fluffy now. Yeast is so cool. So now you want to punch this down and form two loaves. I made one a longer shape and one more of a rectangle. Just to add a little variety into my life.


You can cut some lines into the top with a sharp knife. It'll make it look fancy. Place them on a greased baking sheet (please don't judge mine, I know it's a little beat up). Cover them again and wait til they've doubled. About another hour (sooo much waiting when making bread).  I like to preheat my oven during this time and leave the bread covered on the oven so it gets extra warm and puffs up quicker. Preheat it to 375. Brush the top with egg and sprinkle it with the leftover cheese.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until it's a beautiful golden color. Pull it out and let it cool on a rack and after about 15 minutes you can cut into it and enjoy! It tastes a lot like Panera's Asiago Cheese bread or bagels! SO GOOD.


I'm going to blame the bad pictures on the fact that it was evening when I finally was able to bake it and so those are my beautiful fluorescent lights beaming down on it :)
I hope you make this bread and enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out for you!

Asiago Cheese Bread:
3 1/4- 3 1/2 cups of flour
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/4 cup warm milk
2 tbsp. almost melted butter
1 1/2 cups asiago cheese (you'll be using 1 1/4 for the dough and 1/4 for the topping)
1 beaten egg

Directions: In a stand mixer combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper.
Melt butter and milk and stir in on low. Add in 1 1/4 cup of shredded asiago cheese and mix until just combined. Gradually add in 1 3/4 cup of flour and knead for 5 minutes. Spray a bowl and let the dough rise for 1-2 hours. Punch down into 2 loaves and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375. Cut the top of the loaves with a knife, brush on the egg and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. EAT IT ALL IN ONE SETTING. (optional)

2 comments:

  1. I think your food pics are beautiful! What's funny is that I thought that after skimming the post, then going back and reading it... which made me LOL! I've been wanting to start blogging again and reading your line about waiting for "everything to come together" totally resonated with me! Inspirational! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! You SHOULD start a blog! I'd love to read it and see pics of your kids!

      Delete